[DCRM-L] Program planning for rare materials catalogers

Christine Megowan cmegowan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 08:39:21 MST 2021

Relating to what Alison said about demsytifying rare materials cataloging,
one topic which has been on my mind a lot recently is how to advocate for
catalogers and cataloging.

When we do our work well, it becomes almost invisible as users are able to
find the resources they need without difficulty. If I may be allowed to
make a sweeping generalization, our profession also tends to attract people
who are on the introverted side and may not be entirely comfortable in the
limelight. So, what sorts of PR skills can we pick up to raise awareness
and understanding of what we do and how it underpins the more glamorous (to
administrators, at least) work of our colleagues in public services?

-Christine

*Christine Megowan*

*Cataloguing Librarian: Rare Books*

Special Collections and Archives

Arts and Social Studies Library

Corbett Road

Cardiff CF10 3EU

Tel: +44 (0)29 2087 4911

Web: www.cardiff.ac.uk/special-collections
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cardiff.ac.uk%2Fspecial-collections&data=02%7C01%7CMegowanC%40cardiff.ac.uk%7Ccb808a69cd71488d95e708d7c4e4e694%7Cbdb74b3095684856bdbf06759778fcbc%7C1%7C0%7C637194359708889906&sdata=eAoWiC%2F%2FPiZMtBfuOdqejKQGGU2eNGivVhp8n%2BZxRg0%3D&reserved=0>

E-mail: MegowanC at cardiff.ac.uk

Registered charity: no. 1136855

Proud to hold the Customer Service Excellence Standard®

*Christine Megowan*

*Llyfrgellydd Catalogio:* *Llyfrau Prin*

Casgliadau Arbennig ac Archifau

Llyfrgell y Celfyddydau ac Astudiaethau Cymdeithasol

Heol Corbett

Caerdydd CF10 3EU

Ffôn: +44 (0)29 2087 4911

Gwefan: www.cardiff.ac.uk/special-collections
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cardiff.ac.uk%2Fspecial-collections&data=02%7C01%7CMegowanC%40cardiff.ac.uk%7Ccb808a69cd71488d95e708d7c4e4e694%7Cbdb74b3095684856bdbf06759778fcbc%7C1%7C0%7C637194359708899899&sdata=cK9fzQv7EslSmjijNaODfn5bfl77wJE7GWpvygZaKi0%3D&reserved=0>

E-bost: MegowanC at caerdydd.ac.uk
Elusen gofrestredig: rhif 1136855

Rydym yn falch o fod wedi ennill safon Rhagoriaeth Mewn Gwasanaethau
Cwsmeriaid ®