[DCRM-L] Japanese Cataloging Tips needed

Sarah Stanhope sstanhop at gmail.com
Sun May 9 09:01:19 MDT 2021

Good Morning All,

I hope this email finds you well. I have been working on cataloging some
Japanese titles and I would say that maybe 5% of our rare book backlog
consists of Japanese materials. We do acquire materials in Japanese, but
not many. When I do come across one that requires original cataloging, it
can be quite difficult to know how to get started.

I had some questions about references and how to get started. I have any
experience learning Japanese. Here are some questions I had that maybe some
of you have come across cataloging Japanese materials. Please let me know
if you have any suggestions!

1) How do you transcribe text from materials if apps like Google Translate
will not pick up the characters? (example: handwritten or stylized scripts)
Also, kanji can be challenging to transcribe in order to conduct a
search/translation.

2) What transliteration style should I use? I noticed that Connexion
supports Cyrillic and Chinese, but not Japanese. I noticed on
transliteration sites, such as

Examples:

   1. Original: 役者似面
   Transliteration: Yakusha nimen
   Translation: Actor-like
   2. Original: 出世鯉滝白玉Shusse koi taki shiratama

Shiratama