[DCRM-L] how to code languages for visual documents that are essentially non-verbal

L'Écuyer-Coelho, Marie-Chantal MC.Coelho at banq.qc.ca
Wed Sep 1 13:31:57 MDT 2021

Dear RBMS colleagues,

I would like to submit a question regarding the coding of language(s) in the MARC records fixed fields. For our collection of original prints and drawings, we have always used the code "zxx" in 008:35 unless text was printed on the source of information. In other words, when cataloguing an engraving with the title penciled under the image, we would not take into account the penciled text and would use the code zxx. Looking however at the PPOC, I saw examples where the language of manuscript information present in the source of information appears to be coded (e.g. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2010647308/, where the coding "eng" probably relates to the annotation "Artist's proof").
In MARC 21, I found the following information : "For all other still images, including original or historical graphic material and opaque and non-opaque graphic material, and for three-dimensional artifacts, subfield $a contains the code(s) of languages associated with the material, i.e., captions or other text associated with the item or collection that are part of the chief source of information." No distinction seems to be made based on whether the text is printed or handwritten ... I also checked the DCM, but I did not find anything relevant to this issue.

What do you think is the best practice? Should I continue to code "zxx" or take into account the language of the text handwritten on documents (including numbering statements and title)?

As always, many thanks for sharing your cataloguing wisdom with me :)

Marie-Chantal L'Ecuyer-Coelho
Bibliothécaire responsable du traitement documentaire des collections iconographiques et de l'ISNI
Direction des métadonnées et de la normalisation bibliographiques
Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec

2275, rue Holt
Montréal (Québec) H2G 3H1
Téléphone : (514) 873-1101, poste 3730
mc.coelho at banq.qc.ca<mailto:mc.coelho at banq.qc.ca>

[Icône BAnQ]<https://www.banq.qc.ca>  [Icône Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bibliotheque-et-Archives-nationales-du-Quebec-Grande-Bibliotheque/239106374115>   [Icône Twitter] <https://twitter.com/_BAnQ>   [Icône YouTube] <https://www.youtube.com/user/BAnQweb20>   [Icône Historypin] <https://www.historypin.org/fr/person/41410>    [Icône LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/biblioth-que-et-archives-nationales-du-qu-bec/>

[ACTIVITÉS]<https://www.banq.qc.ca/accueil/>

BAnQ-Avis de confidentialité
Ce courriel est une communication confidentielle et l'information qu'il contient est réservée à l'usage exclusif du destinataire. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, vous n'avez aucun droit d'utiliser cette information, de la copier, de la distribuer ou de la diffuser. Si cette communication vous a été transmise par erreur, veuillez la détruire et nous en aviser immédiatement par courriel.