[DCRM-L] format confusion

Wed Sep 22 15:03:40 MDT 2021

This sounds like a perfectly normal American 12mo in half-sheet imposition. At 14 cm high, it's unlikely to be a smaller format.

The signing weirdity isn't actually weird if you think about how 12mo's—whether full-sheet or half-sheet—are imposed and assembled. For full sheet 12mo's, a 4-page strip is removed from the sheet. The 8-page portion is folded like an octavo, and the 4-page strip is folded twice on itself. Then the 4-page section is inserted in the middle of the 8-page section.

For a half-sheet imposition, a 2-page strip is separated from the 4-page section, the larger section folded like a quarto, and the 2-page strip is folded once and inserted into the middle of the 4-page section.

So far, so good. But Americans pioneered the practice of signing only the first leaf of the gathering and the first leaf of the insertion for 12mo's. For a gathering in 12's, this would be leaf 1 and leaf 5; for one in 6's, it would be leaf 1 and leaf 3. In Dan's book, the signing is completely regular: for each gathering, the first leaf is signed with the letter, say 'B', and the third leaf, or the first leaf of the insertion, is signed B2. It doesn't meant that the third leaf is B2—it's still B3. That's because we assign leaf values for reference notation based on the collation. It's awkward and confusing because it's a departure from the typical signing method of earlier periods, but still intelligible thanks to the collational formula.

American printers started signing with numbers instead of letters sometime around late 18th-early 19th century. For 12mo's, the signing often looked like, say, the first leaf of 12 leaves signed '2', and the fifth leaf signed '2-2'. That fifth leaf is still 25 when we need to refer to it.

Attached is a two-sided image of a common 12mo, taken from Gaskell. Try it yourself.
______________________
Deborah J Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Washington, Brittney
Sent: Thursday, 26 August, 2021 12:11
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] format confusion

Hi Daniel,

With regard to “The third leaf of each gathering is signed A2, B2, C2 etc.” I had something similar like this recently, too. It turns out the gatherings were in twos. In the OCLC record I found this described: “Signatures: A1-L1² A2-L2², with quire A2 following quire A1, B2 following B1, etc.” I found that confusing so I wrote it out for our catalog as follows: A1² A2² B1² B2² C1² C2² D1² D2² ² E1² E2² F1² F2² G1² G2² H1² H2² I1² I2² K1² K2² L1² L2².

This may not answer your question really, but it could be a weird situation like this that is causing so much confusion.

Brittney Washington
Metadata & Cataloging Librarian for Special Formats
Harry Ransom Center
The University of Texas at Austin
(512) 232-1681