[DCRM-L] Tironian "et" revisited: not an ampersand

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:22:56 MDT 2021

In fact, I think the confusion goes the other way around. A stylized
Tironian "et" can look like an "e" and a "t" smooshed together, but not
like an ampersand. It's a single piece of type that represents the
coordinating conjunction in whatever language was being used, but it's a
hybrid symbol in a transitional period, not one or the other.

Sometimes the "and" character is obviously an ampersand (looks like "&" and
is higher than the x-height), sometimes it's obviously a Tironian et (looks
like 7 or a crossed 7 and does not extend above x-height), but others could
go either way:

   1. Looks like a 7 with a big curl leading up to it, like that font's *x*,
   and mirroring that font's *h* and *n*, e.g.
   https://www.e-rara.ch/zuz/content/zoom/165788 and
   https://www.e-rara.ch/gep_g/content/zoom/22373003 (but could also be
   seen as an e-t ligature that doesn't look like *&*)
   2. Looks like a crossed 7 with a big curl leading up to it:
   https://www.e-rara.ch/zuz/content/zoom/16181377 (but could also be seen
   as an e-t ligature that doesn't look like *&*)
   3. Looks like a crossed 7 with the top bar shortened, e.g.
   https://www.e-rara.ch/gep_g/content/zoom/11506108 (but could also be
   seen as an e-t ligature that doesn't look like *&*)

It's not that catalogers are confusing a gothic *&* with a gothic *⁊*,
(there are gothic fonts where it *is *obviously a *⁊*), it's that the
single piece of type used for the coordinating conjunction was designed to
look reasonable either way the reader is inclined to see it.

if *&* and *⁊* do end up being treated differently in DCRMR, there needs to
be an "in case of doubt" instruction pointing catalogers one way or the
other.

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>