[DCRM-L] Latin street address. Capitalize via?

William Hale wah26 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 09:49:10 MDT 2021

I’ve been cataloguing rare books for more than twenty years and have never thought of that. I suppose it should according to current rules, but I’m inclined to go with the effective majority verdict and continue to put the v in lower case. A quick look at EEBO suggests it was customary to put a lower case v in English-speaking countries as well, which gives some support to the practice.

I must admit that I have always been reluctant to capitalize words which are in lower case in the source, irrespective of what the rules say.

Will.
--
William Hale
Treasurer, Cambridge Bibliographical Society

Rare Books and Early Manuscripts Department
Cambridge University Library
West Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 9DR