[DCRM-L] Question about rule 1B4 and Latin title

Jones, Angela arjones at mail.smu.edu
Thu Jan 6 07:37:22 MST 2022

Hello, and Happy New Year!

I am cataloging a multi-volume book in Latin, with the volume numbering immediately preceding the title. The title page for the first volume reads: Primum vol. Felini Sandei ..., and each title page in the set starts with the volume designation at the top of the page, in similar fashion. A picture of the volume 1 title page is attached.

My question is in regards to rule 1B4, and is mostly related to my skimpy knowledge of Latin. Would this be considered a "grammatically inseparable designation", as defined by that rule? I know that would be the case if the volume designation appeared at the end of the title, or somewhere within the title, and have seen many examples of those situations. But this is the first time I have run into a volume designation at the head of the title. And, since I have rather limited knowledge of the grammar structure of Latin, I thought I would ask the list.

I did find the title in the USTC catalogue, and it does include the volume designators as part of the title. See https://www.ustc.ac.uk/editions/854472.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Angela

Angela Jones
Head of Technical Services
Underwood Law Library, Dedman School of Law
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750354
Dallas, TX 75275-0354
214-768-1827