[DCRM-L] Legacy manuals/vocabularies

Tue May 17 09:48:20 MDT 2022

Hello Matthew et al.,

The different publisher for the early RBMS thesauri (ACRL instead of LC) accounts for the different treatment, I believe. When Bib Standards moved to an electronic platform for the thesauri, ACRL released copyright to us. Functionally in any case; not sure if there was a formal transfer. To be on the safe side, I suggest that someone in an official capacity—a CVEG editor—get in touch with ACRL Publications about making digitized versions of the paper thesauri freely available.
______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Matthew C. Haugen
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 18:36
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] Legacy manuals/vocabularies

Hello,

While helping weed our departmental reference collection, I'm deciding the fate of our print copies of DCRB, BDRB, SCF, and the various controlled vocabularies. I do refer to these rarely even though they are no longer current. But since they've all been digitized, I'm more comfortable with sending our print copies offsite and deduplicating them. However a number of the digital versions are limited view, since they are not yet in public domain.

I seem to recall that BSC has been able to publish free PDFs of current DCRM and AMREMM manuals, since they are no longer in print. Would there be a case for publishing these legacy documents on the BSC website as well for the sake of posterity and comparative standards work, and/or taking steps to authorize Hathi or IA to publish these as full view?

Either way, perhaps the links below may be helpful to others as well.

Best,

Matthew

Predecessors to DCRM(B)<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/V0ItC5ywNMCky5LHzSDBp?domain=rbms.info/>

Bibliographic Description of Rare Books<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/qFGCC68xOMtLRjYi629oQ?domain=catalog.hathitrust.org> (BDRB). 1981; via HathiTrust (full view)

Index to Bibliographic Description of Rare Books<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/7KvVC73yPMHGr41HB306k?domain=archive.org>. 1987; via Internet Archive (full view)

Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Books<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/tHCIC82zQgiNmDpCM4Fyn?domain=catalog.hathitrust.org> (DCRB). 2nd edition. 1991; via HathiTrust (full view)

Examples to Accompany Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Books, 2nd ed.<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/Y0t3C9rA0jU4JLETPYXSQ?domain=archive.org> 1999; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

Predecessors to SCF<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/4vmtC0RoGMtNnqwC3pdZ4?domain=rbms.info/>:

Standard citation forms for published bibliographies and catalogs used in rare book cataloging<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/AarGCgJDmyfEvOZiZY_kW?domain=catalog.hathitrust.org>, 1st ed., 1982; via HathiTrust (full view)

Standard citation forms for published bibliographies and catalogs used in rare book cataloging<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/6E_ZCjRgpBtozKQixaoSr?domain=catalog.hathitrust.org>, 2nd ed., 1996; via HathiTrust (full view)

Predecessors to RBMS CV<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/O3BRCkRjqgt2D8zf0A4S7?domain=rbms.info>:

Binding Terms : a thesaurus for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/w7VSClYkr0iRW0NUNpPRt?domain=archive.org/>. 1988; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

Genre Terms : a thesaurus for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/VaBSCmZ0vkiyVBNSw_Hio?domain=archive.org>, 2nd ed., 1991; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

Paper Terms : a thesaurus for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/2ZPXCn5mwls94ANfzJhtm?domain=archive.org>. 1990; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

Printing & Publishing Evidence : thesauri for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/22qZCo2nxmi2Aj3fmmbbR?domain=catalog.hathitrust.org>. 1986; via HathiTrust (search only)

Provenance Evidence : thesaurus for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/JFxtCpYoyni4g13T98NxA?domain=archive.org>. 1988; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

Type Evidence : a thesaurus for use in rare book and special collections cataloguing<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/S7EjCqxpzotYgKjtgAe-6?domain=archive.org>. 1990; via Internet Archive (limited preview)

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries