[DCRM-L] Question about inserted signature

Jones, Angela arjones at mail.smu.edu
Mon Sep 12 14:34:21 MDT 2022

Hello,

We've run into an interesting situation with a French book printed in 1782. The book is composed of various tables related to tariffs. The book is a 16mo and the signatures have gatherings of 6 leaves with the gatherings signed A-N.

The N gathering is the last one in the book and it is also in 6 leaves. However, between leaf N2 and N3 (pages 148-149) another gathering is inserted. This is a gathering of 4 leaves, completely unsigned. The pagination continues through this section in a modified fashion, with pages in the inserted gathering being numbered 148 bis., 148 ter., 148 quatr., etc. There is also a cancellation at the point of the inserted signature.

What would be the proper way to designate this in a signature statement? I've looked in Gaskell and on page 330 I see a reference to interpolations made inside gatherings, but to be honest I am not sure how to interpret the example that is given.

So I wonder if our best options are one of these two statements:

A-N6 (with a note about the inserted signature either after the statement or in a note)
OR
A-M6 N2 chi4 N3-N6

Or maybe something else?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Angela

Angela Jones
Head of Technical Services
Underwood Law Library, Dedman School of Law
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750354
Dallas, TX 75275-0354
214-768-1827