[DCRM-L] relator terms, a query on practice

Charles F Tremper cftrempe at syr.edu
Fri Oct 16 07:04:50 MDT 2009

First thanks for those who responded to my question on signatures and the *

As I review the policy guidelines inherited from my predecessors, I am trying to evaluate the relator guidelines which call for both $e the term and $4 the code, presumably in an effort to cover variations in how different systems handle this data.  Voyager ignores $4 (at least in our set up) while Encore reads both, producing redundant information.

Except for music cataloguing (which uses the code, not the term), general collections cataloguers here pretty much ignore relators unless they are present in OCLC records.  (Following our recent down-sizing, relator terms did not make the cut as required data in our developing "good enough" record for gen col)

Are we alone in using both?  Is one or the other to be preferred?
Thanks Chas.

Charles F. Tremper
Catalogue Librarian
Special Collections Research Center