[DCRM-L] FW: RDA label "Early Printed Resources" -- revision proposal

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Apr 4 09:34:54 MDT 2013

I dare say that JSC's relutance has a lot to do with copy cataloging, in
the context of which "early printed resources" are a minority safely
segregated from the bulk of resources to which RDA applies. A degree of
complexity is expected in the resources themselves, and tolerable where it
is reflected in records for them.

Nevertheless, as I think my two Lincoln-related examples indicate, it is
incorrect to assume that the printed resources of the post-handpress period
are necessarily less complex. When actual complexity is ignored the result
is oversimplification, and work that fails to realize the purposes
expressed as "functional requirements for bibliographic records".

We are all sympathetic to the administrative realities that underlie the
reluctance to deal with complexity; but "resources" are messy things, and
our job as librarians and information professionals is not to pretend
otherwise. The bibliography of Ezra Pound is no less crazy than that of
Alexander Pope--I cannot, with a kit of blunted tools, correctly catalog
the manifestations of the works of either one.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>