[DCRM-L] MARC coding for annotations, decorations etc.

wah26 wah26 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 08:01:57 MDT 2017

Dear all,

We are in the process of changing our library management system at
Cambridge and are taking the opportunity to update our local cataloguing
guidelines. One point at issue is which MARC field to use for
copy-specific information other than binding or named provenance, which
clearly go in 563 and 561 respectively. The sort of thing I mean is
descriptions of annotations, hand-applied decorations such as
illumination or rubrication, or imperfections. Here are a few examples
from our recent recataloguing of incunabula:

(1) Marginal manuscript nota signs and notes in cursive hands, and
additional prayers on verso of upper free endpaper.

(2) Initials in blue with penwork decoration in red and blue on leaves
A1r and e1 recto.

(3) Conjoint leaves [b1] and [b8] misbound after [b2] and [b6] respectively.

(4) Old shelfmarks: C-1-5; AB-1-3.

(5) Bound with: Paulus Venetus. Expositio in Aristotelem De generatione
et corruptione et De mundi compositione. Venice : Bonetus Locatellus,
for Octavianus Scotus, 21 May 1498  - Gaietanus de Thienis. Expositio in
Aristotelem De anima, De sensu agente, De sensibilibus communibus et de
intellectu. Venice : Bonetus Locatellus, for Octavianus Scotus, 23
December 1493.

At various points in my career I would have treated 1, 2 & 4 as
provenance information and put them in 561 notes, or as general copy
specific information and put them in 59x or 852 $z, depending on local
practice, system requirements, my mood at the time, etc., etc. 3 and 5 I
would always put in 59X or 852 $z. It has been suggested that field 562,
"Copy and Version Identification Note" a field I was barely aware of and
have never used, might be an alternative for this kind of information.
(See http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd562.html if you are as
ignorant of this field as I was). However, although the examples do seem
to include notes similar to those above it seems to me that this field's
purpose is different (differentiation between copies rather than the
history of individual copies). I would be grateful to hear of other
libraries' practice in this area.

I suggest you reply to me off-list, and I will summarise for the list if
people are interested.

Many thanks,

Will Hale.

--
William Hale.

Rare Books Department,
Cambridge University Library,
West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9DR.
<http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/rarebooks/index.html>

Telephone: (+44) (0)1223 333122
Email: William.Hale at lib.cam.ac.uk

*1416-2016: Celebrating 600 Years of Cambridge University Library
<http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/600>*