[DCRM-L] Question concerning the use of RBMS Binding Terms for artists' bindings

L'Écuyer-Coelho Marie-Chantal MC.Coelho at banq.qc.ca
Fri Apr 28 07:33:11 MDT 2017

[Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec]
Dear colleagues,

We have a small collection of artists’ bindings in our holdings (about 300 titles) which we would like to describe using GF descriptors translated from RBMS Binding Terms (or AAT) from the Répertoire des vedettes-matière (RVM) team. In the application rules for RBMS Binding Terms, it is explained that:

“Descriptions of bindings are for the most part copy-specific; even in the case of publishers' and edition bindings, variants often occur which frequently constitute the principal points of interest for those studying the bindings. Libraries doing original cataloguing should describe as desired the physical characteristics of their own copies; other libraries making later use of such cataloguing will need to evaluate the 655 entries for appropriateness to their own copies.”

Since I am describing contemporary fine bindings—i.e. bindings usually made for one exemplar of a “mass” produced edition—there are, in most cases, several copies attached to the same bib record, out of which only one exemplar has been bound by a book artist. My question is therefore the following: would you recommend the use of binding terms in field 655 even though the descriptors only apply to some of the copies we own?

I checked the MARC format, thinking perhaps I could use a $3 subfield, but it does not seem appropriate (it is use for a part of the resource, not for a part of the edition)…

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise :)

Marie-Chantal L'Ecuyer-Coelho
Coordonnatrice
Bibliothécaire responsable du traitement documentaire des collections iconographiques
Direction du traitement documentaire des collections patrimoniales
Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec

2275, rue Holt
Montréal (Québec) H2G 3H1
Téléphone : (514) 873-1101, poste 3730
mc.coelho at banq.qc.ca<mailto:mc.coelho at banq.qc.ca>
www.banq.qc.ca<http://www.banq.qc.ca/>

[Icône BAnQ]<http://www.banq.qc.ca>  [Icône Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bibliotheque-et-Archives-nationales-du-Quebec-Grande-Bibliotheque/239106374115>   [Icône Twitter] <http://twitter.com/_BAnQ>   [Icône YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/user/BAnQweb20>   [Icône Historypin] <https://www.historypin.org/channels/view/41410>

[histoire familiale]<http://www.banq.qc.ca/archives/genealogie_histoire_familiale/>

BAnQ-Avis de confidentialité
Ce courriel est une communication confidentielle et l'information qu'il contient est réservée à l'usage exclusif du destinataire. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé, vous n'avez aucun droit d’utiliser cette information, de la copier, de la distribuer ou de la diffuser. Si cette communication vous a été transmise par erreur, veuillez la détruire et nous en aviser immédiatement par courriel.