[DCRM-L] Lady day date confusion

Huber, Seth huberse at missouri.edu
Tue Aug 15 08:22:25 MDT 2023

I am working on some English political pamphlets primarily from the 1640s. Most of the records I have found in OCLC take the year as given on the piece, but in some cases the ESTC records have noted that Lady day dating has been used, while entries that exist in Wing take the date as given. I have not dealt with Lady day dating to this point, so I'm wondering if I should assume that it applies to everything printed before the region of origin adopted the Gregorian calendar or only take it into account when specified in a union list or some other reference source? At this point I can't tell if I am overthinking or what and I would be glad for clarification on this. Thanks,
Seth Huber
Technical Services Librarian/Head of Cataloging
University of Missouri-Columbia
huberse at missouri.edu<mailto:huberse at missouri.edu>
573-884-4648