[DCRM-L] Lady day date confusion

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:36:15 MDT 2023

It's even more complicated than that: Lady Day Dating and the
Julian/Gregorian Calendar are two separate things. Here's how I explained
the difference to myself, which later went into a Folger blog post:

> It’s especially important for researchers working with British documents
> to remember that Lady Day dating (affecting year numbering every 1 January
> through 24 March) and the Julian calendar (affecting day numbering year
> round) are separate because they were not modernized at the same time.
> Scotland officially dropped Lady Day dating after 31 December 1599, which
> was followed by 1 January 1600, but continued to use the Julian calendar
> until Wednesday 2 September 1752, which was followed by Thursday 14
> September 1752. England and Wales also switched from the Julian calendar in
> September 1752, but had already modernized year numbering the previous
> January (31 December 1751 was followed by 1 January 1752).

See https://www.folger.edu/blogs/collation/untangling-dating/ for the whole
post.

Short version: if you've got an English imprint with an exact day and year,
and the day was within 1 January and 24 March, and the year was 1751 or
earlier, add one to the year.

Erin

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>