[DCRM-L] Vocabulary question: Leaves or Folios/Pages/Spreads for Ledger

Karen Meyer-Roux KMeyerRoux at getty.edu
Wed Jun 28 15:08:42 MDT 2023

Dear all,

I used the term "leaves" for a ledger where facing leaves or pages are given the same number. See the description in a note field:

Sections in the ledger: leaves 1-71: Pictures (stock numbers 1291-3861); leaves 249-274: Drawings (stock numbers 582-1373); leaves 282-285: Engraved plates; leaves 302-314: China.

There are annotations in the ledger using the term "folio"(i.e., "For this picture, see folio ....").  Perhaps I should have used the term "Folios" instead of "Leaves."  The term "Leaves" was not well received, and I was asked to justify why I did not use the term "Pages." The term "Leaves" (or Folios) is technically not correct (as you can see in the attached images, Verso of "Folio" 91 is numbered 92), but "Leaves" seems less incorrect than "Pages".  The term "Spread" is technically more accurate.  Is this term used?  What term would you use in that situation?

I don't have digital images of the ledger, which has the numbers stamped instead of written by hand.  The ledger was possibly purchased with the numbers already stamped.
I've attached images of another ledger that shows the numbering by hand on facing leaves/pages.

Best wishes,
Karen

Karen Meyer-Roux, PhD
Archivist | Collections Management