[DCRM-L] looking for a term

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:27:53 MST 2023

I have this charming recreational set at my desk today (see picture attached).

Provisionally: Das Volksleben in Venedig, die Piazetta. Wien : Herausgegeben v. M. Trentsensky, [approximately 1855]

Is there an established term for a set such as this? In spirit and form, it is toy theater adjacent, but without connection to a work of drama. In the publisher's catalog available in Google Books, it's listed as item 40 under "Kleine malerische Tableaux" (Small picturesque tableau?):

Plastische Aufstellungen. Cartonirt, colorirt und ausgeschnitten in kleinen... - Google Books<https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/90lZAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PP4&dq=Das+%22Volksleben+in+Venedig%22+Trentsensky>

I appreciate your suggestions.

Best,
Francis

Francis Lapka
Senior Catalog Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  britishart.yale.edu<http://britishart.yale.edu/>