[DCRM-L] looking for a term

Ruth Ellen St. Onge ruthellen.stonge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 06:29:20 MST 2023

Hello,

These are also referred to as "peep shows" or "peep show books" and/or
"tunnel books" according to Berger, *The Dictionary of the Book*, 2nd
edition, p. 336. He refers to a chapter by Emily Martin and Alice Austin:
"Book Theater: The History of the Tunnel Book," in *Suave Mechanicals*, no.
4. However, although "peepshow" appears in AAT it seems to refer to the
boxes or cabinets with internal pictures. Tunnel book is not currently
included in AAT or RBMS 's Controlled Vocabulary.

Ruth-Ellen

*Ruth-Ellen St. Onge*, MISt, PhD
(She/Her/They)

Distinctive Collections Cataloguing Librarian

Archives and Research Collections
McMaster University Library