[DCRM-L] Procedure for preliminary records

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman dezel002 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 7 09:47:46 MST 2024

Hi Daniela,

Sorry for the belated reply. While we don't do it routinely, for some
specific projects or collections we have created very minimal preliminary
records utilizing spreadsheet entry by students. The spreadsheets are then
used to create MARC records using MarcEdit. We also generally include a
special MARC tag identifying the records for later full
cataloging/enhancement. We do not export these to OCLC, as they are not
ready for prime time, and in some cases may duplicate full records in
WorldCat.

Here is a link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/13nXmmtOqsPX7-SDgkPwDHEBW0fb9JILDYwkPaLq3duk/edit?usp=sharing>
an internal procedure we used for our James Ford Bell Library, when we
needed inventory records in Alma in order to track the physical items when
we moved the collection to a new building.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 7:46 AM Erin Blake via DCRM-L <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
wrote:

> Hello! Here at the Folger we have several types of preliminary record,
> each with a specific wording that will let us find them again and gradually
> clean them up. In-house, we call the phrases "HBCNs" for "Handy Butt-Cover
> Notes" because "CYA" seemed too crude (the grant-funded staff member who
> coined the term left ages ago, but her legacy lives on).
>

> See https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Advisory_statements for our current
> instructions on HBCNs and
> https://folgerpedia.folger.edu/Preliminary_cataloging for what
> constitutes a "preliminary cataloging" (which is a step up from merely
> being a "PRELIMINARY RECORD").
>

> We've been using these HBCNs for recon records since the early 2000s, but
> began using them for the backlog of new acquisitions about 10 years ago.
> See
> https://www.folger.edu/blogs/collation/meet-the-hamnet-hbcn-handy-butt-cover-note/
> for a blog post introducing them to our users.
>

> For an explanantion of how they work with our most recent batch of recon
> records, see the blog post "24,000 'preliminary' catalog records are better
> than nothing!" at
> https://www.folger.edu/blogs/collation/24000-preliminary-catalog-records/
>

> Hope this helps!
>

> Erin

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Cataloging Policies and Practices Librarian | Cataloging, Metadata, &
Digitization Services | University of Minnesota Libraries
160 Wilson Library | 309 19th Ave. S. | Minneapolis, MN 55455
dezel002 at umn.edu
she, her, hers