[DCRM-L] Who still uses 245$h, or wishes they could?

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Mar 22 12:09:47 MDT 2024

Just to point out, because GMD is not used in RDA, subfield $h will not validate in 245 fields in OCLC records coded $e rda in 040. As far as I know subfield $h was used, and only used, for the AACR2 controlled list of GMD terms—at least in bibliographic records. I don’t know if the same OCLC validation applies to $e dcrmr, but it ought to, since that code claims RDA is being applied to the record, which means GMD is not appropriate in records coded “dcrmr”.

Note that subfield $h has been reinstated in access point fields in authority records (it had been against policy all through AACR2 and during the early part of RDA) . It is now used to record the content type element in access points for expressions, e.g.:

100 1_ Adams, Douglas, ǂd 1952-2001. ǂt So long, and thanks for all the fish. ǂh Spoken word ǂs (Freeman)

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568