Proposal for labeling DCRM rules

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Mon Aug 30 12:26:53 MDT 1999

John said:

>I'm not arguing for any particular organization for DCRM.  However, you
>should be aware that seeking to parallel the organization of AACR2 may well
>be a moving target.

My suggestion was not to try to make DCRM parallel to AACR2, but to make
the chapters for specific types of materials number parallel to the
numbering in the general chapter (currently DCRB). DCRB is, of course, also
a moving target, but at least it is a moving target our group can control.

On the other hand, we might want to model the whole DCRM on the proposed
structure of AACR2 and organize it by area with specific types of materials
treated in each area, rather than having a general chapter and then
subsequent chapters for specific materials. What does everyone think of
this suggestion?

Bob

>At 01:27 PM 8/26/1999 , you wrote:
>>I think these are good ideas; I do have a further suggestion. One of the
>>really fine aspects of AACR2 is that the subnumbers of each chapter
>>correspond pretty precisely to the same subnumbers in every other chapter.
>>If we could work out a numbering system so that a rule in the general
>>chapter carries the same number as its equivalent more specific rule in the
>>material specific chapters, I think that would be more than handy. Are you
>>doing that more or less with the music rules development?
>>
>>Bob
>

>		John Attig
>		Penn State University Libraries
>		814/865-1755; 814/863-7293 (fax)
>		jca at psulias.psu.edu

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6428 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568