Topic 6: Glossary: Title page and Title proper

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at pobox.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 8 07:41:15 MST 1999

Bob has made some very cogent points, and I think that "the leaf on which
the title proper appears" is not an adequate definition.  After all, we
want to be clear that a colophon is not a title page.  I would like to add
that the definition of a title page in AACR2 seems quite adequate.  The
clarifications provided in the DCRB glossary are clearly implied by the
AACR2 definition.
	As for chief title and its identification with title proper, when
we started work on the rules for cataloging medieval manuscripts, the
first draft included the notion of a chief title.  What we found was that
it was either confusing or redundant.  However, we did find that we needed
terminology to refer to a title statement because many manuscripts have
none at all and therefore require the cataloger supply a title.  For this
purpose, we borrowed from APPM's notion of a formal title.  Here is the
relevant section from the current draft of the manuscript rules:

1B.  Title Proper

1B1.  Formal Title
The formal title is any title that a manuscript itself bears.  The formal
title includes the title proper, as well as other title information,
statements of responsibility, or statements of edition or version that
either precede or follow the chief title  if these elements constitute
integral parts of the title proper.  Elements constituting integral
parts of the title proper may be identified textually by connection
through case ending or syntax, and / or physically by sharing in common
type or grade of script, color of ink, or placement on the page.  The
formal title may manifest itself on a title page or in a colophon, but
will most often appear in or as a rubric, running title, contents list,
explicit, incipit, cover title, or spine title.
	Larry

 --
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Original Cataloging Department