our assignments

JAIN FLETCHER jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 8 12:37:36 MST 1999

Hi, Bob,
   I have been reading your recent e-mailings (and re-e-mailings) with
great interest.  In fact, it reminded me that I was involved with
another issue on the assignment list.  I have been so caught up
thinking about the issues related to item 5b, that I nearly forgot
about item 2(!)  So, I thought I'd try  weigh in with some preliminary
thoughts about 2, in case others want to contribute some more thoughts.
   People will recall that when we sent the earliest draft of the DCRB
Core out to ExLibris, there was significant discussion of the I/J, U/V
issue.  However, in the midst of all that, Jackie Dooley asked a very
good question about how DCRB related to the Minimal level cataloging in
App. D of DCRB.  Here is what I responded to her:

   "...there should be very little difference between the "core"
standard and "minimal-level records" recommendations given as App. D of
DCRB.  If you compare both, I hope you will agree that the
recommendations are in alignment with each other--they are only set out
differently.  As far as format goes, the overall difference between the
two is that the core standard is laid out in MARC field order (of
course, one has to be looking at the Core Standard for Books for that
to be clear, but that is the intent).  I would invite those interested
to compare the two guidelines and see if there are differences."

What I didn't address in the above paragraph (but did later in the
message), is that DCRB by its very nature deals only with the
descriptive portions of the cataloging record.  The DCRB Core standard
goes further by covering minimum level requirements for both
description and access.
   Much later, I had reason to go over the rules and App. D again
fairly closely and *still* believe that my brief assessment in my
paragraph to Jackie is correct.  Based on that belief, I would be ready
to advocate substituting the DCRB Core for the existing App. D.  Does
anyone else have any thoughts on this?
                 Thanks, Jain

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:48:50 -0600 Robert Maxwell
<robert_maxwell at byu.edu> wrote:

> Dear DCRB Revision Committee members:
              {...snip, snip...}

> "Work on DCRB was divided up as follows:
>
> 	1. USMARC on DCRB - Russell;
> 	2. Core - Creider, with involvement from Jain Fletcher; this group will
> examine minimal level and whether core should replace minimal level or be
> an addition;
> 	3. 19th century/post handpress - Schroeder, with Manon Theroux;
> 	4. Transcription - Robinson
> 	5. Other:
> 	  a. Serials - Gillis and McLaren
> 	  b. Music - Jain Fletcher
> 	  c. Maps and cartographic materials - Sider
> 	  d. Other?
> 	6. Glossary - Sider; special attention to definition of title page;
> 	7. Principles - Maxwell; comparison of DCRB with British rare book rules;
> ISBDA, ISBDR; comparison of DCRB and AACR2;
> 	8. Examples - Hayes; how to incorporate them
> 	9. Revisions in the future - McLaren
> 	10. Single sheet publications - "
                  {...snip, snip...}
> Bob
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Robert L. Maxwell
> Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
> 6428 Harold B. Lee Library
> Brigham Young University

Jain Fletcher
Head, Monographic Cataloging Section