Topic 6: Glossary: Fingerprint

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Jan 12 08:17:09 MST 1999

At 12:49 PM 1/11/99 -0800, you wrote:

>  Bob, in response to your comment: "does such a thing exist?"  I assume that
>  the Steele notations used to identify British royal proclamations are
>  exactly what is meant by a 'fingerprint'.  That is, these notations consist
>  of three words taken from specific places in the text which identify an
>  issue, state, or impression uniquely--along with the usual bibliographic
>  suspects: imprint, date, etc.

I read the Library Associations new Guidelines for the Cataloguing of Rare
Books yesterday, and they do mention the fingerprint, too, to be entered in
a new UKMARC field 756 (a field that has not been added to USMARC)(anyone
know if there is a web address for UKMARC like the one for USMARC?). It
still is not clear to me exactly what this is and I would like to see an
example. I know I have never seen a fingerprint in a catalog record. If one
wanted to record one, where would one do it in USMARC? And how would one
figure out what the fingerprint was for a given book? Do you have to go to
another reference source? If so, what is the difference between that and
simply citing a bibliographic reference in a 510?
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6428 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568