DCRB & MARC Format

Elizabeth Robinson erobinson at huntington.org
Mon Jan 25 17:34:54 MST 1999

Patrick et al.

Some preliminary response to your email below:

1. I was confused about the obsolescence issue of X9X you mentioned, so I checked the USMARC for Bibs. Sheets are there for 09X, 59X, and 69X. They all simply say they are locally defined. Anyhow in regards to the main question you poised about which MARC format to be concerned about, yes, I think USMARC for Bibs is the way to go and not the specific versions from the utilities.

2. As regards the consideration of local systems within the cataloging code, I don't expect us to try to evaluate and accommodate the problems of all the specific systems, but at the same time, the local systems issue is not something that can be completely overlooked.
	In our transcription topic, we are currently discussing 246 $i vs. 500 and 246 $a. The rules as they stand now allow both (7C4 and App. A, 7C4-5). I don't think we have to make a choice on one or the other; leave that to local library practice. If we want to use examples that display a variety of ways of doing the same thing, that might re-enforce that notion. Just selections, not all the varied ways.

3. Should examples have tagging? I think that would be quite helpful. I would also vote to keep the examples at the rules they illustrate. And continue with _Examples to DCRB_ also.

5. I don't have any experience with the USMARC Holdings either, but I it would be relevant for rare serials.

6. Initial articles in uniform titles - I wonder what's being discussed. These are already being dropped.

6. 740 - For unestablished title main entry added entries. E.g.:

	245 00 Stories of love ...
	500      Includes the anonymous Tale of the heartbroken 		maiden.
	740 02 Tale of the heartbroken maiden.

6. Use of $3 - Had to look this one up; never used it before. I gather it is to focus descriptive information to a part of the thing being cataloged. That could be universal or copy-specific. I did look at examples in the various 5xx chapters. $5 [NUC code], of course, always indicates copy-specific info.

The "right" field for provenance - As I recall, when format integration was first implemented, there was some discussion among catalogers about whether to use 561 for provenance of books like one uses it with manuscripts. Many libraries (mines included) use 590 for provenance. And the difference in the fields, as currently defined in USMARC Bib, is 590 (since local) can be used for the last former owner you have (or whatever provenance info [generally incomplete] you have) whereas 561 is suppose to be tracing ownership from creation to current owner. Most of us don't have that kind of comprehensive data for our books, so we've been sticking with 590.

--Elizabeth A. Robinson
  Principal Rare Book Cataloger
  Huntington Library
  erobinson at huntington.org