DCRB & MARC Format

Patrick Russell prussell at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 25 20:28:10 MST 1999

Hi Elizabeth and others:

1. I was aware that my views on 590 would raise some eye brows!   I can
only quote the MARC sheet for 59X which says "In 1982, field 590 was made
obsolete when the entire 59X block of numbers was reserved for local use
and definition."   This is why, in LC MARC Formats, field 500 contains a
number of examples which clearly are copy/institution specific (see
examples illustrating use of $5).

5. MARC  Holdings: also for multiple copies, multi-volume-monographs.  At
Berkeley, we use the Holdings screen (in our case non-MARC) for recording
copy-specific information.  So I think MARC Holdings needs to be at least
glanced at by someone with experience.

6. Initial articles in uniform titles: I believe a proposal is being
discussed  by MARBI that would enable the inclusion of an initial article
in a uniform title or $t.  John Attig could help out here.  Yes, initial
articles presently are dropped, but there is some dissent from this
practice, because in certain languages (e.g., German) this creates shall we
say "unfortunate grammar."

6. 740 : There is a beautiful example of a valid 740 in MARC Formats:

	100 1  Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich,$d1860-1904.
	240 10 Vishnevyi sad.$lEnglish
	245 14 The cherry orchard ; Uncle Vanya /$cAnton  Chekhov.
	700 12 Chekhov, Anton Pavlovich,$d1860-1904.$tDiadia Vania.$lEnglish.$f1969
	740 0   Uncle Vanya.

Its obvious my skills at Cyrillic Eudora Email are lacking; but I think we
have all come across the above situation in rare books!

I like Elizabeth's 740 also.

6. Use of $3: This subfield originated in AMC format, and is very
convenient.  Now that it can be used in all formats, it might be used to
help resolve the manner of identifying the particular copy, volume,
whatever, to which a copy-specific note applies.  This problem came up when
I was on Standards Com. before, and to my knowledge was never fully
resolved.  I must admit that I'm not certain my examples reflect LC's
intentions.  But $3 seemed an option worth putting on the table.   There is
also some interest in "copy identification" for the related added entry,
and $3 is authorized in 7XX entries, though I do not find an example given
in MARC Formats under 700, 710, or 711.  When I tried it at Berkeley, a
filing problem resulted!

Here is an example of $3 which occurs often in collection-level records (in
this case an oral history transcript with tapes and other related material).

	300 $3Transcript:$a2 v. (500 p.) :$bill. ;$c30 cm.
	300 $3Phonotapes:$a11 sound cassettes.
	300 $3Related material:$a1 carton (1 linear ft.)
	520 $3Related material:$aNotes, photographs, floor plans, and
correspondence used in the 		course of the interviews with so-and-so.

Provenance: why would one want to use a distinct field for the "last or
only known owner" before item reached a repository?  561 does trace
ownership history, but if all the ownership history there is to trace is
the known fact that the item  bears Gertrude Stein's bookplate, then it
appears to me one might record it  in 561.  It seems to me that the basic
issue (at least what I intended to raise) is:  is 561 intended primarily to
record "ownership and custodial history" of archival material (as I happen
to think it is), or, as my examples try to do, should it be used for the
somewhat different "rare book" concept of provenance of individually
cataloged printed items?  My examples of 561 could equally well have been
tagged "500" (per several good examples in LC MARC Formats).  I did not use
590, since I view this as a "locally defined field."  At Berkeley, we have
two such "locally defined fields: "PRV" and "BIB"; I gather that some
libraries put in 590 all of the information which Berkeley currently splits
between PRV and BIB as in the following example:

	PRV Signed on t.p. by Adam Smith, with the bookplate of J. P. Morgan.
	BIB   Bound in blue morocco, gilt.

Thanks for this input.

Patrick

>Some preliminary response to your email below:
>
>1. I was confused about the obsolescence issue of X9X you mentioned, so I
checked the USMARC for Bibs. Sheets are there for 09X, 59X, and 69X. They
all simply say they are locally defined. Anyhow in regards to the main
question you poised about which MARC format to be concerned about, yes, I
think USMARC for Bibs is the way to go and not the specific versions from
the utilities.

>2. As regards the consideration of local systems within the cataloging
code, I don't expect us to try to evaluate and accommodate the problems of
all the specific systems, but at the same time, the local systems issue is
not something that can be completely overlooked.
>	In our transcription topic, we are currently discussing 246 $i vs. 500
and 246 $a. The rules as they stand now allow both (7C4 and App. A, 7C4-5).
I don't think we have to make a choice on one or the other; leave that to
local library practice. If we want to use examples that display a variety
of ways of doing the same thing, that might re-enforce that notion. Just
selections, not all the varied ways.

>3. Should examples have tagging? I think that would be quite helpful. I
would also vote to keep the examples at the rules they illustrate. And
continue with _Examples to DCRB_ also.

>5. I don't have any experience with the USMARC Holdings either, but I it
would be relevant for rare serials.

>6. Initial articles in uniform titles - I wonder what's being discussed.
These are already being dropped.

>6. 740 - For unestablished title main entry added entries. E.g.:
>
>	245 00 Stories of love ...
>	500      Includes the anonymous Tale of the heartbroken 		maiden.
>	740 02 Tale of the heartbroken maiden.
>
>6. Use of $3 - Had to look this one up; never used it before. I gather it
is to focus descriptive information to a part of the thing being cataloged.
That could be universal or copy-specific. I did look at examples in the
various 5xx chapters. $5 [NUC code], of course, always indicates
copy-specific info.

>The "right" field for provenance - As I recall, when format integration
was first implemented, there was some discussion among catalogers about
whether to use 561 for provenance of books like one uses it with
manuscripts. Many libraries (mines included) use 590 for provenance. And
the difference in the fields, as currently defined in USMARC Bib, is 590
(since local) can be used for the last former owner you have (or whatever
provenance info [generally incomplete] you have) whereas 561 is suppose to
be tracing ownership from creation to current owner. Most of us don't have
that kind of comprehensive data for our books, so we've been sticking with
590.