0E (DCRB-AACR2 analysis)

Patrick Russell prussell at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 7 16:25:42 MDT 1999

Hi all:

Again, are we talking about "MARC realities" or display.   For instance,
some of the specifics about ISBN punctuation have to do with display.  In
MARC  "--"  separating areas are not input; but that does not mean that
they should/should not be provided in cataloging rules per ISBD, since a
"display" could, at least with present MARC tagging structure, provide them.

I would bring the language back into line with AACCR2, restoring missing
parts.

This leads to another point that will continue to recur: I am generally in
favor of restoring "missing parts," rather than compelling one to "turn up"
AACR2 to find these as appropriate.  Of course, if a part is deliberately
missing because handled differently/elsewhere in DCRB, that is another matter.

Yes, replace [9] and omit rule found in [12]

Patrick