GMGPC

Helena Zinkham hzin at loc.gov
Mon Nov 1 07:58:45 MST 1999

Patrick:
Your term proposal sounds fine.    It helps a lot to have the scope
note and literary warrant already laid out.

Would a second broader term of "Illustrations"  or  "Book
illustrations" be appropriate?

What deadline are you working under?   (The software by which the TGM
II thesaurus is published" on the Web is being upgraded and we can't
issue updates until that process is finished.)

Very nice to hear from you again,  Helena

>>> Patrick Russell <prussell at library.berkeley.edu> 10/29 6:45 PM

Hi Helena:

As I no longer have Sarah Rouse's E-mail, I'm posting this to you.

The Thesaurus group of the Bibliographic Standards Committee of the
Rare
Books and Manuscripts Section of ACRL is considering additions and
changes
of terms in the thesauri it publishes.

The term "Volvelles" has come up for extensive discussion, and is
widely
needed in rare books collections.  We have considered putting the
term in
"Genre terms" and "Printing and publishing evidence," but neither
has
seemed wholly appropriate to some members of the Committee given the
scope
of these thesauri as presently defined.

Would the LC Prints and Photographs Division consider adding
"Volvelles" to
the terms presently in: Thesaurus for Graphic Materials II: Genre
and
Physical Characteristics Terms?

GMGPC already has a number of terms relative to book illustration.
"Volvelles" could be added as an NT to "Mechanical works."

Volvelles
PN Composite diagrams with movable parts. These parts are circles,
or
segments of circles, 	bearing printed information, superimposed upon
each
other, and rotated on a central axis.
BT Mechanical works

cf. Glaister, G.A. Glaister's Glossary of the Book (2nd ed., 1979) p.
503;
GMGPC p. 530 (Mechanical works) and p. 531 (Metamorphic pictures)

The above PN etc. is my own, for purposes of providing a possible
text and
place in the thesaurus.

Thanks,

Patrick Russell