Topic 6: Glossary: "FIGURE"

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Tue Nov 2 18:35:32 MST 1999

First, what is the rationale for adding the term in the first place?  Will
it appear in the DCRM rules?  If not, why do we need it in the glossary?

As for the definition itself, it seems natural to first consult existing
glossaries.  Glaister's Encyclopedia of the Book (2nd ed.) has a definition
that closely resembles Sandra's earlier version:

"figure:  1. an illustration on a page of text with which it is printed
from a forme imposed together with type. Cf. plate.  2. see numerals."

I find no definition in either Carter's ABC for Book Collectors (7th ed.)
or Peters's The Bookman's Glossary (5th ed.) .

Is there an authoritative source that backs up the revised definition
suggested below?  If plates can also contain figures, then how does a
figure differ from an illustration?  And how does the numbering fit in?

--Manon
>From: "Sider, Sandra" <Sandra.Sider at sothebys.com>
>To: "'dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu'" <dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu>
>Subject: I must be stupid today--Elizabeth is correct re. "FIGURE"
>Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:21:05 +0100
>
>Everyone should ignore my previous post re. "figure."  I have edited the
>entry for "Figure" below, q.v.
>
>Any further comments?
>

>> Figure.  [N.B.: new term.]  An illustration printed on a page of text,
>> or printed on a page which is an integral part of a gathering.  Plates can
>> also contain numbered figures. See also Plate.
>>
>> Plate.  A primarily illustrative leaf that is (usually) not an integral
>> part of a gathering.  Tables, scores, and similar material printed on leaves
>> that are not an integral part of a gathering are also treated as plates.
 See