DCRM(S) pt. 0A addendum

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Tue Feb 6 07:56:06 MST 2001

At 04:59 PM 1/31/01 Wednesday-0500, Eric Holzenberg wrote:
>I agree that separately-catalogued issues of serials may well be a nuisance
>in situations where the library has substantial runs of that same serial
>titles already; but monographic cataloging of distinct serial issues I
>think should be an option in cases where a single issue is all the library
>has, and all it is ever likely to have.
>
>Jane is assuming that a single issue of a rare serial will (if one is
>patient) nearly always followed eventually by another issue of the same
>periodical, and in a large dynamic research library that may be true; but
>there are lots of small, static collections where that is unlikely to be
>the case.
>
>Eric

In cases where you have true periodicals or newspapers, and only one issue, it
is possible to catalog the issue as a monograph, but, I would *also* catalog
the issue as a serial.  Search strategies  in most online catalogs allow you to
limit searches to serials.  Even if you are in a small special collections
library, where it is unlikely that you will ever get another issue of this
periodical (if one even exists), you are cataloging not just for your catalog
but for catalogs that you search and/or where your records are downloaded.

Jane