DCRM(S) pt. 1

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:47:48 MST 2001

http://www.library.yale.edu/conser/documents/dcrs.html

1B1 option. Show, as an example, how this would look. I would give as the
example the same example as above, Jackson's Oxford  gazette and news so
that the cataloger can see how it would look with and without the
application of the option:

Optionally, include the former title as other title information:

245 10 Jackson's Oxford gazette and news :$bformerly Flynn's Oxford gazette.

1B4. I am confused as to what is going on with the Louisville directory,
which appears twice as an example. The first time it makes sense. It
doesn't make sense as an example of the date being part of the title proper
(which I *would* like to see an example of, since as a monographic
cataloger I'm having trouble wrapping my brains around the concept).

1B5. You already said this in 0C3. Do you need to repeat it here? This
brings up the question of what constitutes a title change. It needs to be
treated somewhere, I think. Do you want to refer people to the new AACR2
"major change" appendix? Are there going to be differences between regular
and rare serials as to what constitutes a title change? Will rare serials
catalogers be more (or less) prone to find a title change (thus triggering
a new record) than a regular serials cataloger? Some guidance is needed.
Where it belongs in the rules I am not sure. Any ideas?

1D1 refers to 1.1.E, which must be referring to the AACR2 1.1E--should
refer to the DCRM rule

1E3 says not to record a statement of responsibility for the editor. What
if the person named is the *author* of the serial? I know these are rare,
but they do exist.

1E3 option. How does this differ from 1E2? I may be missing something here,
but they both seem to be saying about the same thing. Or possibly 1E2 would
make more sense if it FOLLOWED 1E3--1E3 says optionally to transcribe S of
R if it is integral to other title info; 1E2 says that if S of R has been
transcribed as part of OTI (presumably in application of 1E3?) not to give
a further S of R.
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568