DCRB(S) Appendix

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jan 19 12:49:19 MST 2001

http://www.library.yale.edu/conser/documents/dcrs.html

I note the numbering in the table of contents of the Appendix should be (at
least as the appendix is currently numbered):

A. Individual Issues of Serials
B. Glossary

(instead of A1 and A2)

A.1. Where are guidelines 1.8 and 2.8? Also some further guidance on when a
library might or might not want to treat individual issues of a serial as
monographs, including examples, would be useful.

"3.4" and "3.5" I believe should be A.4 and A.5, no?

3.4 (i.e. A.4). I think the 245 before the fourth example would be better
as a fourth example in A.3 (with the addition of a facsim. transcription
before the paragraph beginning "For MARC coding ..." as you have done for
the other three examples). A.3 is talking about 245 transcriptions; A.4 is
talking about the corresponding access points.

Still on A.4, unless I misunderstand, the Hollandia example is an example
of a serial with chronological but not numeric designation and as such
should be an example for the second half, not the first. In any case, it
lacks a $v. Should it be given as follows?

830  0 $a Hollandia (Hague, Netherlands) ; $v 1899 Sept. 2

As for normalization of the numeration of individual issues, would this not
call for authority records? (Just a side note continuing an earlier
conversation ;-)

Glossary: Lady Day Dating--since I am pretty ignorant about this, I am left
wondering (1) when was Lady Day Dating used, (2) Where? and (3) how would I
recognize it on an item?

Glossary: Old Style/New Style Dates. Are there any countries that still
remain under the Julian calendar? For example, when did Greece convert (if
at all)? If we have a serial from such a country issued in 1999/2000 are we
to convert the date?

Typo in "Volume title page": "Volume title pages are often *issued*" not
"issue"

I note that many of these glossary entries would also be useful in DCRM(G)
or (B) -- presumably they will all funnel into the general glossary for the
publication as a whole.
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568