DCRM(S) pt. 0A

Deborah J. Leslie DJLeslie at folger.edu
Mon Jan 29 17:02:45 MST 2001

0A par. 1.

	AACR2 (no space) is how AACR2 identifies the acronym. We should
follow suit.

	"They may be used in describing any serial, however,
particularly those produced by hand or by methods continuing the
tradition of the hand-produced book."
	What methods do you have mind that are not produced by hand but
which continue the tradition ofthe hand-produced book?

0A par. 2.

	"Rare serials often present situations not ordinarily
encountered in the cataloging of the usual modern serial (e.g., )"
	E.g. what?

	"identify significant characteristics (paper, type, etc.)."
	How about "(e.g., paper, type)" to follow the style of your
other parenthetical extrapolations. Or better yet, give as examples the
types of notes more likely to be made in rare serials cataloging, since
neither notes on paper or type are made very often in rare book
cataloging, and I doubt they would be big note-makers for rare serials.
Such as provenance or binding, perhaps?

0A.1. par. 1.

	"Examples of serials include periodicals, journals, magazines,
annual reports, newspapers, almanacs, society transactions, etc."
	How about "almanacs and society transactions." You are giving
examples, not a comprehensive list, and too many "etc.'s" are unnerving.

	"The decision to catalog a work serially".
	"Serially" is an adverb modifying "to catalog," To talk about
cataloging a work serially suggests something different than cataloging
something as a serial. I looked through the CONSER cataloging manual,
and "serially" indeed only appears in the phrases "issued serially" or
"serially published directories".  I suggest you tighten up the language
here and wherever else it appears.

0A.1. par. 4.

	"Is an annual publication really only issued once during the
year?  If so, consider treating monographically.  Some early almanacs,
for example, were published more often than once a year, frequently with
a change in the publisher or the person responsible for the astronomical
calculations."
	This is an improvement over the earlier version, but it's still
difficult to tell what you want to emphasize. If you want to say that a
serial published no more frequently than annually ought perhaps to be
cataloged as a monograph, then a clearer wording might be: "Is it an
annual publication? If so, consider cataloging as a monograph. Be aware,
however, of self-titled annual publications that often published more
often than once a year, such as almanacs." Still, I wonder why you want
to be gearing annual serials toward monographic cataloging?I know the
ESTC has treated annuals as monographs, but I don't see any reason why
annuals might more appropriately be cataloged as monographs than as what
they are--serials.

0A.1. par. 4.

	"For serials that are monographic, such as dime novels or
auction catalogs, consider treating monographically."
	The first clause has an oxymoronic ring to it. Are you talking
about monographic series? I confess that I have never considered auction
catalogs as serials--how do they fit the criteria? A couple  of
different ways of phrasing that spring to mind. "For monographic series
..." "For serials that also have individual titles ..."