DCRM(S) pt. 0A

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:09:52 MST 2001

At 07:02 PM 1/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>0A.1. par. 4.
>
>         "Is an annual publication really only issued once during the
>year?  If so, consider treating monographically.  Some early almanacs,
>for example, were published more often than once a year, frequently with
>a change in the publisher or the person responsible for the astronomical
>calculations."
>         This is an improvement over the earlier version, but it's still
>difficult to tell what you want to emphasize. If you want to say that a
>serial published no more frequently than annually ought perhaps to be
>cataloged as a monograph, then a clearer wording might be: "Is it an
>annual publication? If so, consider cataloging as a monograph. Be aware,
>however, of self-titled annual publications that often published more
>often than once a year, such as almanacs." Still, I wonder why you want
>to be gearing annual serials toward monographic cataloging?I know the
>ESTC has treated annuals as monographs, but I don't see any reason why
>annuals might more appropriately be cataloged as monographs than as what
>they are--serials.

Deborah took this to mean the opposite of how I understood it, which
illustrates that it is still confusing. I took the original rule to mean
that if something calling itself an annual publication (e.g., an almanac)
was in fact published *more* often than annually we should consider
treating it instead as a monograph. I still interpret the language "is it
*really* only issued once during the year" to mean "is it in fact issued
*more* than once a year?" This was my original objection. It seems
counter-intuitive to say that if it is an annual we will treat it as a
serial, but if it is actually published *more* often we will treat it as a
bunch of monographs. On the other hand, I thought the revised language
above was supposed to convey that the fact that, say, an almanac claims to
be annual, but we actually have more than one for a given year, further
investigation might reveal to us that what we actually have is *different*
works, by different publishers, etc., and that are in fact a bunch of
monographs. But Deborah is right, I think what you want to get at is still
unclear, as evidenced by our wildly different interpretations of the language.

Bob
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568