Single sheet publications comments

Robert L. Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Jun 27 17:47:12 MDT 2001

Here are some comments on Juliet's newest version of the single sheet
publications rules.The proposed rules are at
<http://www.lib.byu.edu/~catalog/people/rlm/bsc/dcrb/singlerules.htm>, by
the way.

A. I believe this came up at BSC. I am a bit puzzled by the requirement not
to transpose in 0D. Why is prescribed punctuation used only if there is no
necessity for transposition? I don't understand this, nor do I understand
why we are forbidden to transpose with single sheet publications where we
are not with, e.g., books.

B. Should there be a requirement to note the source of the title? E.g.:

         1A5. Give in a note the source of the title.

C. In 1A3 we are told not to omit any of the first six words of the text in
abridging. In 1A2 we are to transcribe the first *five* words of the text
under certain circumstances. Why not six here, too?

D. In 1C2 we are told to "treat that statement according to the rules for
other monographic publications"--i.e., transpose? What are you getting at
here? If you mean transpose, does this contradict 0D?

E. 2A1. Needs a space between read and unfolded. Also, I suggest you
separate the examples from their captions. I thought at first that the 300
field was supposed to read:
         300     1 sheet, printed on both sides, unnumbered: 1 sheet ([2] p.)

Instead, the rule should read something like:

Examples: 1 sheet, printed on both sides, unnumbered:
                 300     1 sheet ([2] p.)
         1 sheet, printed on both sides, numbered:
                 300     1 sheet (2 p.)
         etc.

F. 2A3. Why are rolls suddenly being introduced here? They aren't mentioned
anywhere else.

G. Glossary, definition for "sheet"--why limit to paper, parchment, or
vellum? What about tapa cloth, cloth, or plastic sheets? How about this:
"Sheet: a single piece of paper, parchment, vellum, or other material with
manuscript or printed matter on one or both sides, paginated or
unpaginated. ..."

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6430 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568