[DCRB-L] General principles: scope

Wed Dec 11 17:45:41 MST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Jain Fletcher [mailto:jfletchr at library.ucla.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 2:49 PM
To: DCRB-L
Subject: [DCRB-L] Gen'l Principles: a few comments

Jain writes:
     <...>  I had understood that these GPs would stand for all the materials covered in DCRM (books, music, maps, serials, mss).  While most of Joe's draft seems to indicate this broader coverage, the very first page contains some more limiting statements which I would like to request be made more broad.

_________________________

Joe was given quite a difficult task, that of developing general principles for cataloging rare _materials_ along with more specific applications for the cataloging of rare books. Where I would like to see the principles developed is in the direction of specifics for rare books. One way it could be done is to expand each of the alphabetic "DCRM should" statements and give specific printed book-related applications. E.g.,

d) DCRM rules should provide for inclusion of all elements of bibliographical significance.
	1.	Full statements of extent, accounting for every leaf in the text block.
	2.	Bibliographic format included in size measurement
	3.	Guidance for specific notes of bibliographical significance, such as signature statements, descriptions of typographical features, &c.
	4.	Encouragement for added entries for printers, booksellers, &c.

In the same way, such an expansion of particular points could be done for the rules of individual rare material formats.

Deborah J. Leslie
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.