DCRM

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Fri Jan 4 09:36:28 MST 2002

I am making a table of the revised Chapter 12 serials and DCRM(S).  In the
process of doing this, I was struck by the differences in the "0. General
Rules" that are in DCRM (and DCRB) and those that are in AACR2.  All the
chapters of AACR2, including the revised Ch. 12, have the following:

0A. Scope
0B. Sources of information
   0B1. Basis of the description
   0B2. Chief source of information
   0B3. Prescribed sources of information
0C. Punctuation
0D. Levels of detail in the description
0E. Language and script of the description
0F. Inaccuracies
0G. Accents and other diacritical marks
0H. Items with several chief sources of information

DCRM(B) has:

0A. Scope and purpose
0B. The basic description
0C. Chief source of information (title page)
0D. Prescribed sources of information
0E. Punctuation
0F. Language and script of the description
0G. Inaccuracies
0H. Forms of diacritical marks and letters (including capitalization)
0J. Abbreviations and expansions
0K. Initials, etc.

Does anyone know why BDRB, DCRB, and our revision into DCRM has not
followed this general layout?  Should we?  We changed 0G from Misprints,
etc. to the AACR2 form.  The place where it gets really confusing,
especially with serials, is the sources of information.  Does anyone have
any thoughts on this.

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-8383 (voice) | (203)432-7231 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu