[DCRB-L] FW: Consistency TF: Area 2 analysis -- 2nd draft

Fri Nov 15 14:14:26 MST 2002

There was some Bib Standards discussion about this a few years ago, and if I'm remembering correctly, there was a consensus to change DCRB so that an edition statement is transcribed without abbreviation if it is taken from anywhere within the item being cataloged. Abbreviation allowed only if an edition is supplied from a reference or other outside source.

--DJL

p.s. Bob, you're right that the current 2.15A formulation is nonsensical.

___________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
202.675-0369 (p)
202.675-0328 (f)
djleslie at folger.edu
www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Maxwell [mailto:robert_maxwell at byu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 3:43 PM
To: dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRB-L] FW: Consistency TF: Area 2 analysis -- 2nd draft

I am forwarding a message that went out to a task force charged with checking AACR2 for internal consistency, chaired by John Attig. The group is actively making rule change proposals based on its findings. The message, from Bob Ewald, regards one of the "Early Printed Monographs" rules in AACR2, 2.15. You will see that it is being suggested that 2.15B be moved to somewhere in 1.2, since it is applicable to all AACR2 cataloging, not just early printed monographs. Bob Ewald also points out some problems with 2.15A and suggests that it be modified to conform to DCRB 2B1.

I think the dcrb-l group is likely to agree with this, but I would like to hear a bit of discussion. Since John is on this list I assume he will be listening in and either he or I can forward discussion to the task group (John, instructions, please!)

The specific queries I have are:

1. Do you think the following (Bob Ewald's suggestions) is a good idea?

2. Before proposing any changes to 2.15A, is DCRB 2B1 likely to remain as it is when it becomes DCRM? Specifically, are we likely to continue to allow abbreviation in edition statements taken from sources other than the title page or are we likely to insist on exact transcription?

As AACR2 2.15A stands it seems to be stricter than DCRB 2B1.

2.15A says: In general, give an edition statement as it is found in the item. Otherwise, give standard abbreviations and arabic numberals in place of words as instructed in 1.2B.

Actually, on reading this rule I don't have any idea exactly WHAT is wanted-- "In general do this, but otherwise do that" means what?

Note that scrutiny is being given at this very moment to the Early Printed Monographs rules in AACR2; I therefore reiterate that the revision of DCRB does need to keep an eye on these as it goes about its work with one possible outcome of suggesting rule revisions to AACR.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602