[DCRB-L] FW: Consistency TF: Area 2 analysis -- 2nd draft

jxa16 jxa16 at psulias.psu.edu
Tue Nov 19 18:11:45 MST 2002

> Can we not persuade JSC to postpone their scrutiny until
> we finish our work?  DJL

Please note that this is a major JSC initiative that is
attempting
to examine all of the rules in Part I of AACR2 for
consistency of
wording and meaning across chapters.  This is part of an
aggressive
program of work by JSC aiming at the publication "by the end
of 2005"
of a new edition of the code.

As Chair of the ALA Task Force which is overseeing the work
towards
consistency across Part I, I suggested (and the Task Force)
agreed
that the rules for Early Printed Monographs at the end of
Chapter 2
be included in our work.  I see this as an opportunity to
bring the
rules for Early Printed Monographs into closer conformity
with both
the rest of AACR and with DCRB (if not yet with the revised
DCRM(B)).

AACR is a work in progress and always will be.  I would not
worry
too much about AACR getting ahead of the DCRM effort.  AACR
and the
ISBDs have been playing leapfrog with the rules for
electronic resources
for over a decade now, and neither standard has suffered
terribly.
Consider the current work on AACR as a first draft, done
with some
input (through those of us involved in both) from the DCRM
revision;
when DCRM is finished, we can all take stock.

I think I was the one who suggested the possibility of
replacing the rules
for Early Printed Monographs with a reference to DCRM.  I
have no idea
whether JSC would consider such a proposal (although I see
more positive
signs now than ever before); in any case, that can't even be
considered
until DCRM is finished.

Again, several members of the Task Force are watching the
DCRM revision, and Bob Maxwell can alert the DCRM group to
relevant proposals from the Task Force. That level of
communication allows each group to concentrate its efforts
on its own work, but to communicate about issues of mutual
interest.

     John Attig
     Cataloging Services
     Penn State University Libraries