[DCRB-L] FW: Consistency TF: Area 2 analysis -- 2nd draft

Matthew Beacom matthew.beacom at yale.edu
Wed Nov 20 14:31:37 MST 2002

Deborah, all,

It is not the JSC per se that is doing this work. It is CC:DA, per the
JSC's request, of course. That is rather a quibble, but please forgive me
for it. The point of my quibble is that the process is layered and thus
there are many opportunities for adjustments or amendments to be made to
any proposal. The JSC does not often act quickly. Its consultive structure
and the need for many bodies to review and agree to proposed changes does
not allow it t.

We would not postpone the effort to make the chapters more consistent and
less redundant, but it a good case could be made to postpone incorporation
of the Early Printed Monographs rules.  John Attig is the chair of the
CC:DA Task Force and I think Bob Maxwell is a member as well. They are both
engaged in discussions on this list and are at the table at CC:DA meetings.

Also, the point of the consistency task force is mainly editorial. Some
substantive changes will be proposed I'm sure, but their charge is to
reduce redundancies and eliminate needless variation in terms not sense.
The task force is not to rewrite the substance of rules, but, of course,
while they are about their business, they will find instances that they
believe can and should be changed in substance and make proposals accordingly.

I think the DCRB discussions you are having should consider the Early
Printed Monographs rules in AACR2. I suggest that you all ask the classic
question: Is this rule necessary? Given the existence of DCRB what should
the rules in AACR say about early printed monographs? Nothing but a
reference pointing to DCRB? Something in sync with DCRB but simpler (for
those who may only catalog the occasional early printed monograph? Or the
full text of DCRB? That's rather unlikely, of course. What would serve
catalogers and the users of catalogs best?

Matthew Beacom

At 03:54 PM 11/19/2002 -0500, Deborah J. Leslie wrote:

>Can we not persuade JSC to postpone their scrutiny until we finish our
>work? (Matthew, are you reading this?). --DJL
>
><&>
>
>  From Bob Maxwell's comment:
>
>"Note that scrutiny is being given at this very moment to the Early Printed
>Monographs rules in AACR2; I therefore reiterate that the revision of DCRB
>does need to keep an eye on these as it goes about its work with one
>possible outcome of suggesting rule revisions to AACR."
>
>___________________________
>Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
>Head of Cataloging
>Folger Shakespeare Library
>201 East Capitol St., S.E.
>Washington, D.C. 20003
>202.675-0369 (p)
>202.675-0328 (f)
>djleslie at folger.edu
><file://www.folger.edu>www.folger.edu

Matthew Beacom
Catalog Librarian for Networked Information Resources
Yale University Library
(203) 432-4947
matthew.beacom at yale.edu
http://www.library.yale.edu/~mbeacom