[DCRB-L] Proposal regarding description of "folders"

Stephen R. Young stephen.young at yale.edu
Mon Apr 28 13:09:52 MDT 2003

I agree with Deborah that the counting of pages has always been
problematic, particularly when one page fills a full side and then several
other pages are on the other side. Another problematic situation arises
when there are blank pages complicating the situation. I like Deborah's
solution, but think we need to have some explicit definition of "panel" and
instructions on how to deal with blank panels.

At 09:38 AM 4/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Proposal for revised description of "folders." (DCRB 5B15; glossary)
>
>There are several problems in the rules governing the cataloging of
>"folders" in DCRB. One is that it can be difficult for catalogers to
>understand what is being described. Another is that the counting of
>"pages" causes problems of its own, given the propensity of this kind of
>publication for unpredictable printing patterns.
>
>To address the first problem, I propose that we drop the term "folder."
>Its DCRB glossary definition is peculiar to this context, and to the rest
>of world (even the library and archives world) it has a different meaning.
>It is not defined in AACR2.
>
>To address the second, I propose that we stop trying to count "pages" and
>rather count "panels." The latter are easily identifiable and countable,
>as well as easily understandable to the user.
>
>I can think of a couple of ways to implement these proposals, and
>currently have no preference. Question: should we try to represent panel
>numbering?
>
>300  1 sheet (16 panels) ; 36 x 24 cm. folded to 18 x 12 cm.
>
>300 1 folded sheet (16 panels) ; 18 x 12 cm.
>
>                 or
>300  1 folded sheet (13, [3] panels) ; 18 x 12 cm.
>
>         or some combination thereof.
>

>______________________
>Deborah J. Leslie
>Head of Cataloging
>Folger Shakespeare Library
>201 East Capitol St., S.E.
>Washington, D.C. 20003
>202.675-0369 (voice)
>202.675-0328 (fax)
>djleslie at folger.edu
>www.folger.edu

Stephen R. Young
Rare Book Team Leader
Catalog Dept., Sterling Memorial Library
Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240

Tel.: 203-432-8385
Fax: 203-432-7231