[DCRB-L] Proposal regarding description of "folders"

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Mon Apr 28 14:02:59 MDT 2003

At 09:38 AM 4/28/2003 Monday-0400, Deborah J. Leslie wrote:
>Proposal for revised description of "folders." (DCRB 5B15; glossary)
>
>There are several problems in the rules governing the cataloging of
>"folders" in DCRB. One is that it can be difficult for catalogers to
>understand what is being described. Another is that the counting of
>"pages" causes problems of its own, given the propensity of this kind of
>publication for unpredictable printing patterns.
>
>To address the first problem, I propose that we drop the term "folder."
>Its DCRB glossary definition is peculiar to this context, and to the rest
>of world (even the library and archives world) it has a different meaning.
>It is not defined in AACR2.

Dropping "folder" is a good solution here.

>To address the second, I propose that we stop trying to count "pages" and
>rather count "panels." The latter are easily identifiable and countable,
>as well as easily understandable to the user.
>
>I can think of a couple of ways to implement these proposals, and
>currently have no preference. Question: should we try to represent panel
>numbering?
>
>300  1 sheet (16 panels) ; 36 x 24 cm. folded to 18 x 12 cm.
>
>300 1 folded sheet (16 panels) ; 18 x 12 cm.
>
>                 or
>300  1 folded sheet (13, [3] panels) ; 18 x 12 cm.
>
>         or some combination thereof.

For the second problem, what about not counting any pages, panels, etc. in
the extent.  Rather, put that information in a note:

300  1 sheet : ill., col. map ; 35 x 92 cm. fold. to 18 x 10 cm.
500  Text (10 p.) and timetables on one side, with map and illustrations on
verso.

300 1 sheet : map ; 41 x 50 cm. fold. to 11 x 21 cm.
500 Text ([1], 9 p.) on one side of sheet, with map on verso.

300 1 sheet : maps ; 64 x 48 cm. fold. to 21 x 10 cm.
500 Text (14 p.)  and map on one side of sheet, with map and advertising
matter on verso.

300 1 sheet : map ; 27 x 53 cm. fold. to 14 x 7 cm.
500 Text and timetables on one side of sheet, with map and timetables on verso.

We might want to leave it open  (as in the last example) to not explicitly
state the no. of pages, panels, etc.

>______________________
>Deborah J. Leslie
>Head of Cataloging
>Folger Shakespeare Library
>201 East Capitol St., S.E.
>Washington, D.C. 20003
>202.675-0369 (voice)
>202.675-0328 (fax)
>djleslie at folger.edu
>www.folger.edu

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-2633 (voice) | (203)432-4047 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu