[DCRB-L] MARC format change proposal: repeatability of 260 $e,f,g

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Mon Aug 11 12:53:52 MDT 2003

John,

Here are some additional comments (sorry to make them so close to your
original Aug. 15 deadline!):

1) 1st paragraph, sentence beginning "The rule calls for"

Should we cite the rule number(s) here and specify that we are talking
about AACR2 (or doesn't MARBI really care...)?

2) 1st paragraph, last sentence: "Even when given, it is highly unusual for
there to be more than one set of subfields needed."

For 19th-century materials, I would not say it is NOT highly unusual for
there to be more than one set of subfields needed. It is extremely common.
Any library with 19th-cent. materials that is exercising the AACR2 option
to transcribe manufacturing information in the "Publication, Distribution,
Etc., Area" definitely needs the subfields repeatable. Not very many
libraries have consistently exercised this option, but that is a different
matter and one you already touch upon in the preceding sentence.

I think I would would either delete this sentence or replace it with one
emphasizing that those libraries choosing to exercise the AACR2 option are
not currently able to so for 19th-cent materials according to existing MARC
standards. This proposal really goes beyond DCRB.

3) 1st example

Need a mark of punctuation between the two $f subfields - right now they
are separated by a mark of omission only.

4) 2nd example

"co." should be "Co." and "Sergent" should be "Sargent"

5) These examples are actually taken from AACR2 records not DCRB records
... should I retrieve the actual books and see what the exact DCRB
transcriptions would be or are we treating these as hypothetical examples only?

6) Neither of the examples includes a repeated $g. I'm not sure if this is
a problem but I thought I would point it out.

7) Final paragraph: "The revised DCRB will call for ..."

I seem to recall some disagreement on the Bib Standards Committee as to
whether we should transcribe all manufacturing information in the 260 field
(no matter where in the publication it appears) or do so only when it
appears on the chief source (transcribing data that appears elsewhere in a
note). Since the revised DCRB rules are still in their "alpha" form, do you
think we should soften this wording to allow us "wiggle-room"? Something
like: "Current drafts of the revised DCRB call for ..."  ? Or doesn't it
matter...

8) Attachment, first question

Form has typo "guildine" - we might want to point this out to the
appropriate person/group.

9) Attachment, answer to second question

Add the following as a second group that would be affected by the change?:

Catalogers of 19th-century machine-press books applying the AACR2 option to
routinely include manufacturing data in the "Publication, Distribution,
Etc., Area"

-Manon