[DCRB-L] WG5: Problems draft, possible additions

Smith, Eileen ESmith at huntington.org
Mon Jan 20 12:47:11 MST 2003

To the list of problems and lacunae, I would like to see added:

1.  Under 7C9, instruction and example on what to do when the signature
statement is based upon an incomplete copy. This can be an incomplete single
volume, or the situation of having only 1 vol. of a multi-volume set.

2. Fragments - How to make it *immediately* clear in the record that the
item is a fragment, instead of having to scroll down into the notes and/or
onto the next screen. Breaking note order to put a 590 (local note)
immediately after the 300 (physical description) is a less than completely
satisfactory solution, especially when one has brief displays and/or long
245s. It may be stretching the definition a bit, but a GMD for "fragment"
would be very useful, displaying the information directly after the title,
as is the case with microforms. Also, how to we want to distinguish between
'incomplete' and 'fragment'?

3. Facsimiles - Again, how it make it readily apparent whether a record is
for the original or a facsimile. The LCRI to AACR2 instructs us to describe
the facsim. as if it were the original. Surely a GMD for facsimiles would be
appropriate? AACR2 1.1C1 has a GMD for "art reproduction", as precedent.

I realize that BSC doesn't have the authority to create GMDs, but 2-3 rank
high on my list of "problems", having encountered user confusion relating to
them.

Eileen

Eileen L. Smith
Rare Book Catalog Librarian