[DCRB-L] Classification numbers

elizabeth l. johnson johnson1 at indiana.edu
Fri May 2 10:06:32 MDT 2003

At the Lilly Library we use the LC classification for our cataloged
printed collections.  I won't repeat all that others have already
described, but just add that subject classification is certainly
appropriate in our institutional setting as a rare books and special
collections library that is part of an academic research library.  An
additional benefit is that we are able to participate in the North
American Title Count (NATC) along with the other Indiana University
Bloomington libraries.

I will say that this type of classification does waste space and where
space is at a premium we have resorted to an accession number shelving
arrangement.  Some newly acquired books that class in the "full" area do
get classified, but the number is extended by a shelving number that
alerts the page to find the book out of its regular spot in the stacks.
When and if we have appropriate space, we can move the books back into
their classification order.  In the meantime, they can still be browsed by
the LC class number.

Elizabeth Johnson
Lilly Library
Indiana University