[DCRB-L] FW: Single sheet publication - consultation

Richard Noble Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Mon Jan 19 09:18:23 MST 2004

Speculating again: I'd guess that this phenomenon is seen most often by
graphics catalogers. Very large maps, charts, posters, etc. might well be
composites, reflecting in many cases the size limits of printing surfaces
(formes of type, copper plates, lithographic stones, etc.), as well as the
maximum sizes of the component sheets (highway billboards are a modern
example). Note that the composition involved may precede or follow
printing. I wonder whether things like volvelles and engravings with flaps
would also be considered composite single sheets.

Anyway, it seems quite sensible to define "single-sheet" this way, making
it explicit that what's at issue is the finished product. If I'm right
about that, information about the composition of the surface belongs in the
note area, not in the physical description area.

At 1/17/04 11:53 AM -0500, Deborah wrote:
>Interesting. Thanks, Eric. How often does this occur? I am trying to
>remember if I've ever seen something like that, but can't. And how would
>one indicate the composite nature of the sheet? 300  2 sheets <...>?

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOK CATALOGUER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU