[DCRB-L] FW: Single sheet publication - consultation

O'Keefe, Doris N. DOKeefe at mwa.org
Tue Jan 20 10:00:33 MST 2004

I've just been poking around in our catalog to find examples of composite
single sheets. Two examples are Hewett, D. The commercial chart ... (New
York, 1825) and New York (State). Adjutant General's Office. Annual return
of the infantry and riflemen ... (Albany, 1829).  In both records the 300
collation gives the dimension of the composite (i.e., 1 sheet ([1] p. ; 53 x
128 cm. and 1 sheet ([1] p.) ; 43 x 95 cm.).  The fact that it is a
composite sheet is explained in a 500 note, e.g. The chart is printed on two
sheets, each measuring 53 x 64 cm., pasted together.

We also have a few records which have collations like 2 sheet ; 72 x 56 cm.
These are not composites but rather a single text printed on two separate
sheets.  The example in front of me is a "List of persons in the twon of
Newton, qualified to vote ..." (Newton, Mass., 1871) in which voters with
surnames beginning with A-K are printed on one sheet and L-Y on the other.

Doris O'Keefe
Senior Cataloger for Rare Books
American Antiquarian Society
185 Salisbury Street