[DCRB-L] Main entry for collectors

Jackie Dooley jmdooley at ra.lib.uci.edu
Wed Jan 21 23:32:36 MST 2004

The rationale for permitting 1xx for collector comes directly from APPM
(Archives, Personal Papers, and Manuscripts, the archival cataloging
rules authored by Steven Hensen), which permits, nay mandates, this
approach. Many aspects of our draft DCRM(B) collection-level rules are
based in APPM, so following this precedented would be easy to
rationalize.

It is hardly unprecedented, however, that rules for entry (as opposed to
rules for description) give "mainstream" catalogers the most pause when
confronted with decisions about reconciling "book" v. "archival"
cataloging rules. Rules for entry approached from the ecumenical
perspective of a wide variety of types of materials (films, photographs,
prints, collections, etc.), in fact, reveal AACR2's unprincipled
approach to main entry to be a flimsy straw man. So you might see this
as an exciting opportunity for rare materials catalogers to take a stand
from the perspective of the "mainstream" v. the "special." You think
you're usually "special"? The question you pose is from the mainstream,
through and through.

So you all decide: do you want to go down in history :) as being
parochial (read "narrow") or as seeing the bigger picture (read
"enlightened")? Don't worry, my tongue is firmly in cheek, but this is
in fact how I see it from a broad perspective.

-Jackie Dooley

P.S. You invite those of us who have opinions to "give it our best
shot"? Sheesh!! I'm guilty until proven innocent? Am I debating
Republicans or what? :) :) Sorry, I couldn't resist.