[DCRB-L] Main entry for collectors

Beth Russell russell.363 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 26 07:54:25 MST 2004

At the risk of sounding shrill and obsessive, I add:

At 05:03 PM 1/24/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Beth is dead right about the rationale for collector main entry in APPM;
>but collections of published materials, as opposed to archival materials,
>fall into a kind of grey area, largely because there's a tension between
>our notions of main entry for individual published items, or items
>published in some sense collectively, as against main entry for archival
>collections.

To my mind, the point is not that the kinds of collections we would handle
under DCRM(B) are equivalent in substance or nature to archival collections
-- they are not. The point is that APPM is a model that provides
comprehensive guidance for cataloging collections as collections. We could
choose to follow APPM in the cases under discussion not because we are
equating our materials with archives, or because we want to reach out to
archivists, or any such thing. We could chose to direct catalogers to use
collector main entry simply because these guidelines make sense in terms of
collections.

Our notion of main entry for individual published items (in my humble
opinion) make no difference at all. Access may be provided to items in the
collection in any number of ways -- the collection-level record is by
definition not the means to do this. I believe the type of material being
cataloged is simply not relevant. This "materials neutral" perspective is
central to my thinking in this matter.

Any disagreement may be worsened by the fact that we are only beginning to
consider collection-level records for the special collections / rare books
community in the context of book (DCRM(B)) cataloging rules. The decision
of the group in New Haven, articulated in the Introduction and Rationale
section, was that we didn't want to try to replace APPM for archival
materials. I do think it's possible, however, for catalogers acting in good
faith to extend this treatment to collections of (mostly) printed material
that might include non-print formats (A/V, computer files, etc.) In this
case, would we consult individual format cataloging guidelines, or would we
instead be guided by the concept of the collection as collection in all our
cataloging decisions?

I also think Richard's points about local practice are worth consideration.
Catalogers have to come up with some way to make these guidelines work in
our diverse local systems. Certainly there are as many ways to make this
happen as there are local systems, catalogs, and catalogers, and since
collections are by nature unique, we ought to expect this kind of
flexibility in our records.

I must also state, for the record, that I have no strong feelings about the
concept of main entry at all. I simply think that we should follow the
concept as it is currently expressed in cataloging guidelines. It's true
that in this case, I believe equating authorship with collector-ship is a
justifiable expression of main entry, and simply one of many decisions that
go into deciding how to describe and provide access to the entity we are
cataloging.

Beth

Beth M. Russell
Head, Special Collections Cataloging