[DCRM-L] Reconsidering digraphs

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:25:26 MST 2005

I'd like to hear the reasoning for why digraphs are "content" rather
than "form."

The only argument I can think of is that they might actually be
considered separate letters, i.e., "oe" is not considered two letters
stuck together, but a single letter.

I can speak with some authority that this is *not* the case in Latin.
"oe" and "ae" are diphthongs, i.e., two separate vowel letters
pronounced in one syllable, and if the two letters are stuck together
they are simply ligatures, no different from ct and st (which can also
be two letters pronounced in a single syllable). "oe" and "ae" are not
considered separate letters in Latin.

Nor are they, as far as I can tell, in French. At least in my
dictionary, "oecumenique" is filed directly after "odyssee" and
"oeuvrer" just before "off", i.e., at least so far as filing is
concerned, they are considered ligatures, not a separate letter. I would
think if they were considered a separate letter they would be filed
somewhere else, perhaps after all the other Os. It is true that "oe" in
this dictionary is printed as an oe ligature. But I would consider that
form, not content. I cannot speak for Scandinavian languages.

Furthermore, as far as I know all systems file the MARC ae and oe as
though they were separate letters. This of course could be changed but
it would result in an extreme amount of confusion I should think for our
users, so I have my doubts that the custom of filing them as though
separate letters will ever change.

Until hearing further argument I think they are ligatures, i.e., form,
rather than content, at least in most cases.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602